What Would You Have Done During the Civil Rights Movement?

(play^ while reading)

One possible answer: holding fixed your character, ideals, relationships and occupation, you'd probably be doing what you're doing now. So, if you're doing very little right now, that's concerning. Any heroic projection of myself as one who would have marched with Martin Luther King Jr. in Birmingham as an act of resistance and solidarity is probably wrong. Any justice-driven conviction that I would have resisted white-flight as my neighborhood became more diverse, that I would have petitioned local officials and State representatives to overturn unjust policies, that I would have participated in lament over racism in America, that I would have lent my attention and time to learning about racism, is probably illusory...

...if I'm not doing similar things now in our current civil rights movement

This is a point raised by Christian activist and historian, Jemar Tisby. It's a harrowing thought experiment. If our engagement with the current social justice movement is zero or converging on zero, it's not unlikely that our involvement with the civil rights movement of the 60s would have been zero or converging on zero. Or, think of it like this: if your response to the current civil unrest is mostly critical ("look at all these destructive protests. That's not good," or, "this is all just marxism and critical race theory"), it's not unlikely that your response to the civil unrest in the 60's would have been mostly critical too. If your response is mostly cautious and alarmist––to the point of being non-engaged––it's not unlikely that your response in the 60s would have been mostly cautious and alarmist too––to the point of being non-engaged. Why think your response would differ?

These counterfactuals and hypotheticals are meant to raise an important question: if my character, ideals, and relationships are not enough to empower productive engagement with racial justice today, why think these things would have been enough to empower productive engagement in the first civil rights movement (had I been around for it)? Don't miss the obvious indictment looming behind that question. Productive support for the civil rights movement of the 60's was unequivocally morally good and right, and anyone who did not productively support it (when it was within their power to do so) was guilty of moral failure. So, if my character, ideals, and relationships wouldn't have been enough to inspire productive support for MLK and his contemporaries, something is off with one or more of these things. They aren't what they should be now. I may need strengthened character, renewed devotion to my ideals, or greater attentiveness and proximity to the people whose lives are most impacted by racial injustice. Alternatively, I may need new character entirely. I may need new ideals. And maybe I need new friends and new community––ones that are less insulated, one's that will challenge me to embrace the uncomfortable journey into racial justice, one's that will journey alongside me, and one's whose racial background gives them a position to speak wisely and authoritatively into my journey. So, what's your situation? Would you have productively supported the civil rights movement? The answer (and perhaps our aversion to the question) may be telling.

Comments

  1. One thing I’ve learned since being born during the Civil Rights movement, is that a change of heart needs to be primary. Anti-discrimination laws are good and much-needed, but the transformation of the soul is critical. For me personally, the best way to do this is to continue to cultivate Christ in my spirit. I pray regularly that he gives me the eyes to see people the way he sees them, and it has nothing to do with the outward appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I think you're hitting on something important: without transformations in hearts and minds, the journey toward racial justice and reconciliation is incomplete. In addition to formal-legal transformations within society, *my* attitudes toward people of other races needs transformation as well. After all, racial justice is not merely about formal-legal gains, right? Those seriously matter. But racial injustice can also exist at the level of my inter-personal engagements (the way I treat people of color--whether consciously or not), at the level of my beliefs (what I think about people of color), and at the level of my "big life" decisions (who I choose to live by, who I choose to associate with, etc.). It seems like we could reach perfect formal equality (equality under law) but still perpetuate racial discrimination and, thereby, fall short of a just society. So yeah, I like what your'e saying.

      And I like that you affirm the importance of formal-legal transformations too. I think so many people are tempted to reduce the issue entirely to a matter of character and fair *inter-personal* treatment. We forget that social and legal pressures outside of our individual control make a difference hear. I often hear things like, "if we all just treated each other with respect, we wouldn't have these problems." Or I hear things like, "I try to treat everyone with fairly." That's great. But if I succeed in treating everyone fairly while the *law* doesn't, we'll still end up with racial injustice. You get the point. Thanks for your thoughts!!!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts