Why I'm a Semi-Vegetarian...or something like that

I've recently become a semi-vegetarian...or something like that. More specifically, I've decided to stop buying meat that comes from factory farms. This is a defeat for my gluttonous appetite but, possibly, a victory my own moral growth. Let me be clear: I like meat. Most of the time I also like trying to heed my conscience (at least I think so...this time may be the exception). My decision boils down to the following intuition:

The degree of harm and suffering inflicted upon factory-farm animals is morally unjustified and nothing excuses me to gain from it. 

While I think it is permissible to eat animals in general, it seems impermissible to inflict the degree of harm and suffering on animals that factory farm farms typically do. What could justify such suffering? My appetite and pleasure? Nah, that doesn't seem sufficient. No good reasons come to mind. Moreover, it seems like buying factory-farm meat makes me inexcusably complicit in the perpetuation of what I think is unjustified wrong doing. I gain at the expense of what I have reason to believe is unnecessary, intense animal suffering. Yikes. So, since I can't think of any overriding reasons for continuing to eat factory-farm meat (e.g., I or someone else will die if I don't eat factory-farm meat, my life will be made extremely worse off by not eating this meat, etc.), I have a reason to stop buying factory-farm meat. That's it. It's pretty simple. Note:

- I don't have a good argument for thinking that animals are members of the moral community (other than appealing to my intuition, I guess).
- I don't have a robust theory describing the necessary and sufficient conditions for blameworthy, and complicit action.
- I don't have a worked out-theory of moral wellbeing.
- I don't think this decision is going to end factory-farming (nothing too "consequentialisty" in nature is essential to my decision).
- I'm not doing this merely because I think I shouldn't be the sort of person who mistreats animals (nothing too Kantian going on here). The suffering of the animals themselves drives my decision here.

Until further philosophical head-scratching is done, I'm sort of pulling the particularist card: that is wrong and I'm not justified in gaining from it. I hope better arguments are forthcoming (there's a lot of literature on this issue, so I look forward to digging in). Until then, it seems appropriate to err on the side of moral caution. I still eat meat (e.g., fish and any animals not raised in factory-farms). Again, it's the treatment of animals in factory farms that is the problem. And if you invite me over for a meal and don't have non-factory-farm meat on the table, there's a chance I might eat it anyway. I have a moral responsibility to maintain good relationships. So if I sense that my semi-vegetarian lifestyle is going to have relationship-harming effects, I'll probably go ahead and eat the meat (of course, a lot depends on the circumstances). Enough for now. There's a plate of tofu calling my name (it's better than you think!).  


Comments

Popular Posts